Tuesday, February 26, 2008

My research here


The reason I'm here is to do research. I use the SSLC, the Smart Small Logistics Container, to track important logistics items and talk to my computer, which updates a remote server. That way anybody anywhere in the world can know, in near-real time, exactly what is in the SSLC here at MDRS. If we run low on an important supply item, like food or batteries, mission support can arrange a new shipment before we even have to ask.

That's the idea, at least. I've been running experiments intended to find ways to get the container to work better. I set up my network, try different setups of tags and antennas and items, collect data, and repeat - since the SSLC is downstairs and I am upstairs, it involves a lot of running up and down the ladder between the Main Deck and the Lab Deck. I feel healthier just thinking about it.

1 comment:

Phil Daoust said...

I'm fascinated by your blog. I edit a section in a British newspaper in which people tell readers about interesting episodes in their live. Would you consider writing something for us? We pay!